Monday, October 19, 2009

A Tribute to Molly



October 15, 2009

What can I say about this sweet old Lab who came into my life a little over a year ago? How do you sum up, in a few words, what joy and love this beautiful old girl brought to my home... and to me?

I rescued Molly 15 months ago from the Muskingum County dog pound, where she unfortunately found herself sitting on death row. Molly had been picked up as a stray, wandering down a county road, lost and confused.

Although Molly was deaf, she could still feel vibrations from thunder, fireworks, or loud noises... and since she was found shortly after the 4th of July celebration in 2008, we feel certain that the fireworks must have frightened her and she wandered off from home and became lost. Her owners never bothered to go looking for her.

Molly's hips and knees were in very poor condition, she was somewhere around age 13, but the Vet felt she still had a "little" quality of life left in her, so I made the commitment to give her a safe, loving home until that quality was finally gone.

For the past several weeks, I have watched her steadily go down hill. She could no longer stand, let alone walk. She needed help to do almost everything. Her kidneys were also failing and cataracts had totally covered her once big, beautiful brown eyes.

Today, Al and I made that final trip to the Vet with her. We both sat on the floor and held her while the Vet humanely put her to sleep.

It was very quick and she looked so peaceful. She will be cremated and return home in just a few days.

I tried very hard not to fall in love with this old, feeble dog, as I knew her time with me would be short... but Molly insisted.

I can't help but feel that, in her younger days, Molly must have been the female, Black Lab version of "Marley". She was rotten to the bone and ornery as could be, but you couldn't help but love her. She made you love her whether you wanted to or not.

Even though I still have 11 dogs in my home... it still feels empty in here tonight. Although Molly could not hear my words as I held her and stroked her head, I hope she could feel all the love in my heart. I hope she's at the Rainbow Bridge tonight, healthy and happy... running free with legs and hips that are whole once again.

Goodbye, my sweet, dear Molly... and thank you for bringing so much laughter and joy to my life. I will never forget you.


No comments: