Saturday, December 4, 2010

In Loving Memory of Chyna

Chyna was rescued from the Muskingum County Pound in 2008.

Apparently, she had been dumped or gotten lost from her original owner and ended up in the yard of another couple who, after many attempts to find where she belonged, decided to keep her. Their vet determined she was around 5 years old.

However, four years later, the couple decided to divorce and neither wanted to be bothered with her anymore, so she was taken to the pound. They didn't even bother to tell the Dog Warden her name.

Being a senior and an owner turn-in, this poor little girl ended up on the euthanasia list. The pound volunteers put out a plea to save her life.

When I saw that sweet face .... how could I say NO... and I was on my way to Zanesville.

She arrived in my home as the most "perfect" dog I've ever had. Impeccable house manners, got along with everyone, including the cats. She was never crated the entire time she was here. She was PERFECT in every way.

I did manage to get her adopted out twice but she was returned both times. Both adopters said she was unruly, would snap at them and had run away on several occasions. However, I experienced none of that behavior while she was here. It became apparent that Chyna was happy right where she was and had no intentions of leaving.

Unfortunately, this past summer, my little girl was diagnosed with a large cancerous mass in her stomach. The vet said there wasn't anything that could be done. The tumor had already advanced into other areas of her body. It was just a matter of time.

We decided to bring her home and give her what quality time she had left.

For the past 4 months, Chyna seemed to be doing great, her appetite was good, I didn't have to give any pain meds, she was alert and active. However, all that changed at the beginning of this week. She started to show signs of discomfort and stress. Her appetite dwindled down to nothing and she finally stopped eating yesterday, which meant it was time for me to make that heart wrenching decision.

I made the appointment on Thursday, Dec. 2nd to have her humanely put to sleep.

Even though this amazing little dog was ready to leave this world, her concern was trying to give comfort to the two people she had come to know as Mommy and Daddy. As Al and I held her, and cried, she tried so hard to tell us that it was OK. Her final thoughts were for us, not for her. But then, that's what kind of a dog she was. It was never about what you could do for her... it was always about what she could do for you... and she stayed true to that right up until the very end.

It's always been hard for me to say goodbye, but this special little dog not only touched my heart but my soul as well and the void she left in my life will never be filled.

Goodbye my sweet baby, Your cancer is gone... you are whole once again.

Have a safe journey to the Rainbow Bridge, and thank you for all the love and happiness you brought to my life.

You will always be in your Momma's heart... forever.

So, until we meet again.... be happy and run free.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Aww. I'm so sorry for your loss. You were lucky to have her, and she was certainly lucky to have you.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your kind words.

They were very much appreciated.

Jo Ann